With more than 320 billion in turnover generated in 2020, including 8.2 billion in France, Amazon remains by far the world leader in e-commerce sites. In terms of digital advertising, the firm of Jeff Bezos is in 3rd position behind Google and Facebook, thanks to its Amazon Advertising advertising network launched […]
With more than 320 billion in turnover generated in 2020, including 8.2 billion in France, Amazon remains by far the world leader in e-commerce sites.
As for digital advertising , Jeff Bezos’ firm ranks 3rd behind Google and Facebook, thanks to its advertising agency Amazon Advertising launched in 2008 under the name of Amazon Marketing Services.
In addition to offering a considerable database of users to merchants wishing to deploy sponsored advertising campaigns, Amazon continues to diversify its advertising formats and to develop new functionalities on its management, in order to convince e-merchants to use this solution to promote their products more.
In this article, our Amazon Ads agency details the interest for an e-merchant to launch on this advertising network, and guides you in the launch of your first Amazon Ads campaigns.
What is Amazon Ads?
Like Google Ads and Facebook Ads , Amazon Advertising is a digital advertising agency allowing e-merchants to set up paid search campaigns that will aim to promote the products they offer.
This solution therefore makes it possible to make the products more widely known to potential future customers using the Amazon platform. With over 300 million active accounts, Amazon offers great targeting diversity to merchants running ad campaigns.
In addition to spaces reserved directly on the Amazon platform, e-merchants will also be able to benefit from distribution on advertising spaces on partner sites, in order to increase their presence on the web.
Why use Amazon Ads?
Take advantage of Amazon’s reputation and traffic
With more than 50% of online shoppers going directly to Amazon to make their purchases, the whole consumer buying process has evolved over the years. This is why Amazon Advertising has become a real opportunity for e-merchants to gain visibility and increase sales .
With such a large audience, there is no doubt that merchants will find the audience that interests them and to which they will distribute their advertisements.
A network of powerful partner sites
Among the wide choice of advertising formats, some of them will not only be broadcast on the Amazon platform and its application, but also on other Amazon partner sites.
This therefore allows advertisers to distribute their ads to qualified Internet users even when they are browsing outside the Amazon site, and thus increase their visibility.
Indeed, with its affiliate program , Amazon can display advertisements on its partner sites. Amazon then pays a commission when a purchase is made on the marketplace.
A strong purchase intention
Unlike Google, Amazon is a product-purchase- only platform , which suggests that its visitors have a high purchase intent and therefore it will be easier to convince them to buy.
In general, users have a high level of trust in Amazon, which further increases the conversion rate of a prospect who searches for a specific product.
Developing its presence on this marketplace and setting up advertising campaigns will therefore give merchants an additional opportunity to acquire new customers and retain them.
An over-optimized UX for conversion
The stakes in terms of revenue from the user experience on the Amazon site are colossal. Designing a multi-generational UX and UI (user interface) that is as optimized on desktop as it is on mobile could only be achieved using the A/B testing. Year after year, Amazon teams have tested new CTAs (call to actions), new locations for them, modified associated and recommended products, improved product descriptions… in order to find out what has the most appeal. effects on conversion.
Today, the teams have refined the UX to optimize the triggering of purchases, and therefore improve the conversion rate.
When an Internet user is in the buying phase, he compares different offers on different marketplaces or online stores; these offers may not be yours. Being on Amazon means giving yourself more chances to sell.
What are the Amazon Ads campaign formats?
Sponsored Products ads appear on search results pages as well as product pages . These are pay- per-click ads , so merchants will only pay when someone clicks on the ad. This makes it easier to control expenses and plan budgets.
This format promotes individual product offerings that the merchant sells on Amazon to visitors looking for similar products .
No visual creation is to be expected since the advertisements are generated automatically from the product pages.
The operation is similar to that found on advertisements Google Ads. The merchant buys keywords related to his products, and Internet users who search for this type of product on Amazon are offered the merchant’s ad in priority.
We also find similarities in the selection of keywords, which can be done manually (choosing the keywords on which to position yourself) or automatically (Amazon selects the keywords that can generate sales).
The main purpose of this ad format is to build brand awareness through customizable ads that display on Amazon results pages.
Like Sponsored Products, these ads are billed on a cost-per-click basis.
These advertisements may feature the merchant’s brand logo , a custom title , and a selection of products ; they are distributed to customers looking for similar products.
When a user clicks on the brand logo, he is redirected to the Store or a personalized landing page , while if he clicks on one of the products in the advertisement, he is redirected to the product page.
A redirection of Sponsored Brands to a Store makes it possible to engage the Internet user in an environment that concerns only your brand, and therefore to distance him from the competition.
Creating a Store allows you to customize a landing page dedicated to your brand, and thus increase your brand awareness on Amazon. This space allows merchants to reference their product portfolios and create an immersive environment around the brand.
The simplified implementation of this interface does not require any coding, it is a “drag and drop” system which makes it easy to include images and multimedia videos.
Once the Store is online, the merchant is given his own web address “Amazon.com/brandname”, allowing him to promote his Store with advertisements on or outside of Amazon.
Sponsored Displays allow you to grow your business and your brand by reaching the most relevant audience , both on Amazon and on partner sites . With this distribution outside the Amazon platform, the merchant arouses interest in the Internet user throughout his purchase journey .
Here too, setting up campaigns is greatly simplified. Visuals are automatically generated from product sheets, and billing is done on a cost-per-click basis.
Importantly, ads are only shown when products are in stock , to avoid unnecessary investment.
Two targeting options are available on Sponsored Displays:
- Targeting by products : allows you to generate consideration with Internet users who are actively looking for products or categories of products similar to yours. Ads will only be visible on product pages or results pages of the Amazon platform.
- Audience targeting : Engage new shoppers with Amazon audiences created from segments using a variety of buying signals. It also makes it possible to retarget Internet users who have already shown interest in your products and who will therefore probably have a greater purchase intention. Ads will be visible on Amazon and partner sites.
Two types of video ads are available on Amazon, aimed at communicating a brand message at scale, and to relevant audiences.
- OTT (over-the-top) video ads appear before, during, or after OTT (internet media service without the involvement of a traditional network operator) content. With the explosion of traffic on streaming sites, the distribution of advertisements on digital streaming media continues to increase, to the detriment of traditional television. Thanks to Amazon’s proprietary data, it is possible to target the audience that seems most relevant to the seller, among the more than 300 million active customer accounts worldwide.
- Online video ads are available to businesses that may or may not sell products on Amazon, as are OTT video ads. Ads appear in both in-stream and out-stream formats, across browsers and apps, and across all types of devices. Amazon’s data will allow you to determine the most receptive audience segments to your advertisements, with the aim of increasing your awareness and your sales volume.
The DSP (demand-side platform) is a platform that allows advertisers to buy display and video ads on Amazon and its partner sites, and deliver them at scale programmatically to the most relevant audience.
This console is accessible both to advertisers who sell products on Amazon, and to those who do not.
Thanks to this off-site distribution, it will be possible to target new customers by offering them content presenting your brand and your flagship products, as well as to target Internet users who have already visited your product pages and who will be more likely to quickly switch to procurement.
It is therefore important to emphasize that thanks to these extremely powerful targetings (made possible thanks to the large volume of data that Amazon collects from its users), this programmatic tool will not have the sole objective of developing brand awareness, but also the increase in sales performance .
Tracking, monitoring and KPIs thanks to Sizmek Ad Suite
Sizmek Ad Suite is a multi- channel tool for creating, distributing, personalizing, measuring and optimizing advertising campaigns.
Thanks to this platform, the advertiser will be able to benefit from many advantages between the creation of the campaign and the analysis of its performance.
- Creative Tools and Services : Creative tools for all skill levels to build dynamic creatives. If the advertiser’s creative resources are too limited, then they can call on the Sizmek Ad Suite design team.
- Multi-Channel Ad Service and Tag Management : Measurement of conversions and engagement for display/video campaigns across all device types can be managed directly from Sizmek Ad Suite. It is also possible to configure third-party pixels there.
- Dynamic creative optimization: using first-party data allows advertisers to create personalized ads to deliver the right message, at the right time, and on the right channels.
- Advanced reporting: Analyzing the entire ad funnel in detail and understanding the consumer journey is possible with flexible, custom reports.
Do you want to develop your business on Amazon and need help deploying your advertising campaigns?
Our expert and certified Amazon Ads consultants can assist you in developing your strategy on this lever.
Also check: How to optimize and boost your sales on Amazon?